Construction is well underway for The Cathedral School’s Centenary project, “The Connection Place” which will pay tribute to all the people who have been a part of the School over its first 100 years. 

“The Connection Place” will be a large circular platform situated at the western end of the School’s famous lagoon, with a bench seat around the outer half. Glass panels along the back of this bench area will have thousands of names inscribed, providing permanent recognition of all those who have been part of the fabric of the school over the past 100 years.

However, with the School moving locations twice over those 100 years, student records are not as accurate as the School would like them to be. Past students and staff are urged to contact the school to make sure their details are recorded.

The Cathedral School of St Anne & St James, formerly known as St Anne’s Church of England Girls’ School, was established in July 1917 by the Sisters of the Society of the Sacred Advent to provide a much-needed secondary education for girls in North Queensland.

The original school was located in the city, on the site now occupied by the Townsville City Council, but in 1942, St Anne’s School was evacuated to Ravenswood for three years during WWII – partly to continue the girls’ education in the relative safety of this small inland town, but also to surrender their city buildings to the military. 

By the early 1950s it was obvious that the school was outgrowing its city premises and would have to move again. A magnificent 23-acre site (former home of the Heatley family) was acquired in Mundingburra, and the school was relocated in August 1958.

The Cathedral School Registrar and Past Students’ Association member, Mrs Toni Lanphier said “We are reaching out to as many past students as possible to ensure we have their correct details on file, however we believe we still have somewhere between 2,000 and 4,000 names to record.”

“We are working around the clock to make sure that no one is left off the list but we encourage anyone who lived, worked or studied at St Anne’s or The Cathedral School over those 100 years to get in contact with us to make sure they are on the list” added Mrs Lanphier.

Past staff and students wishing to update their details can contact The Cathedral School on 07 4722 2000 or visit the online update form on the School’s website

“The Connection Place” will be officially open on the School’s 100th Foundation Day on 21 July 2017.

More information about The Cathedral School’s Centenary celebrations can be found on the website